Monday, October 08, 2007

Celebrity Smack Down

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I recently (accidentally) got another job. This new job is the antithesis to my airline job. Honestly, they could not be more different. I will attempt to explain the differences using celebrity metaphors. Celebriphors if you will.

The airline job is Angelina Jolie. It's exciting and unhealthy. It's filled with high highs and lower lows. It's jet fuel and coffee and vomit. It's sore feet and aching legs. It's up all night and never sleeping in the same place. It's being hungry all day, then binge eating at Harvey's at 2am. It's meeting new people and hating most of them, but learning something valuable from a rare few. It doesn't pay well in monetary terms, but is six figures in terms of experiences. Its missing Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and birthdays but it is also learning to appreciate these special times even more. It's being thrown into stressful situations and coming out on the other side a bit shaken, but a bit more confident in myself. It's incredibly frustrating and then miraculous. Its being poked (mostly in the bum) and learning to poke back.

The office job is Susan Sarandon. It is predictable, reliable and a wee bit monotonous. It is nine to five with an hour lunch. It is paperwork, calculators and phone calls. It's a sore back and strained eyes. It's being home every night and sleeping in the same bed. It's eating three square meals a day but then never eating a Montreal smoked meat sandwich in Montreal or fish and chips in St. Johns. It's being at home but never seeing what 'Home' looks like to someone else. It's weekends off spending time with cousins at brunch. It's Christmas at home. It's two weeks vacation a year. It's more money. It's less fun. It's middle-aged women.

Between school, sleeping and just generally being alive I have found out (the hard way) that I need to make some cuts. I just don't think I'm built for this having two jobs business. Okay, so I need to quit a job, but which one? Am I an Angelina or am I a Susan? I feel like I could be a bit of both, but not fully one or the other. While I realize that this isn't the most earth shattering of problems to have I really am very tired and my sanity is at stake here. I need to come up with a celebrisolution for my celebrissues and soon.

2 Comments:

At 8:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you made any decisions yet? Just remember, Angelina was doing really well saving the world for a while there, but now she is rapidly losing weight (allegedly) and her health is at serious risk (allegedly), she and Brad are having trouble (allegedly) and aliens stole her latest adopted foreign orphan and returned it with an extra set of limbs (I think this has been confirmed). Susan Sarandon, on the other hand, has had a solid career for over 30 years including an Oscar win, and has been married (?) to the same man for, like, five decades. In summary, angelina's beauty will fade into a pile of scrawny bones, and her talent (as observed in the fast and the furious) hasn't been seen in years. Susan sarandon, while perhaps a but plain, is still solid.

Kiki

 
At 11:56 AM , Blogger Brown said...

Well, just be glad your job isn't more like Paris Hilton. All glamour, with a little jail time, sex tape scandals, drug binges, anorexia, and a bald kitty that has seen more tv time than most people will in their life. Can she even read?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home