Saturday, September 22, 2007

Rough Skies

A few weeks ago there was a story in the media about a Canadian airline that experienced moderate turbulence. The plane dropped several hundred feet (or according to the guy on the news, thousands and thousands of feet) and nine people were hurt. When I first heard about it I was wee bit shaken up, then worried about the passengers and crew and then angry. I was angry because I spend a good portion of everyday at work making announcements about the seatbelt sign, checking to see that everyone is where their seatbelt, explaining to people why it's important that they do wear it and so on. Almost without exception someone gives me a hard time about wearing their seatbelt or about having to put their child in a seatbelt.

When the plane experienced the unforeseen turbulence, passengers were upset that we gave them no warning whatsoever and seemed to feel that it was the airlines fault for the turbulence in the first place. Week after week I fight with people to wear their seatbelts for this very reason and then it happens and they are angry because felt they had no warning. This made me wonder if maybe most people don't know about clear air turbulence, or if they do, they don't understand the frequency in which aircraft's experience it. I figured I would ask the only pool of sane people I know, you guys...

So, here are my questions;

When you are out there traveling the skies do you wear your seatbelts even if the sign is off? Do feel like turbulence is a real threat? Do you think that there is enough information out there (ie: are they announcements enough?)

4 Comments:

At 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an honour, the First Responder!! Not that kind, KT.

I would like to think I can offer insight on this manner. The idea of wearing belts at all times is not only recomended, but officially endorsed as mandatory in our SOP's (standard operating procedures). Although I haul frieght, I know for a fact that the airlines stress the same rule. The two folks up front (in the pointy end, right Bitty!) have that thing on from engine start to stop.

SO...

If WE, as assumably "enlightened" individuals" (in terms of somewhat knowing what's ahead) are routinely wearing a safety device...hmmm.

As a passenger, I apply the same rule. Me belt is on whenever I'm sitting, from engine start to shutdown. I hate hearing those multiple clicks as people undo as soon as the plane clears the runway.

Rest assurred, Bitty, some people do listen and hear your instructions. Unfortunately, they are probably the ones who already know better.

TH

 
At 11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with T, I always wear my seatbelt. I beleive that is why he took me through that turbulence over the lake that one day, to teach me about seatbelts.

The people that got hurt were the stupid ones who were not doing as they were supposed to; the complain that they had no warning because they need to blame someone rather than admit that they are idiots. Its easy to blame the airline. As for the ones that got up to use the loo, they were the unfortunate ones that just picked the wrong time to get up.

I don't know what sort of "warning" people were expecting; do they not realize that the medium through which they are travelling is AIR? If they could predict turbulence 100% of the time, don't they think it would always be avoided, rather than just announced?

People are stupid; when they get hurt because of their stupidity, they make a fuss to take the focus off of them. The rest of us see right through the ruse and will not stop flying that airline, nor do they blame the flight attendants or pilots. sh*t happens.
kiki

 
At 1:21 PM , Blogger Bitty said...

TH - I was hoping you would offer your insight. That's a really good point about how if the pilots feel the need to wear their seatbelts, the rest of us probably should too. In fact I'm going to use that when I try to explain it to people. By the way, is it true that the rear-facing flight attendant jumpseats are the safest on the plane or is that just something they told us in training to reassure us after showing us 5 plane crash movies back to back?

Kiki - I agree. Perhaps I'll don a "turbulence happens" sandwich board and walk up and down the aisle ringing a cowbell to get the point across. I bet you don't leave garbage in the seatpocket either do you?

 
At 8:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't honestly know the stats on rear facing seats. Maybe it's something like how drunk drivers don't always get hurt...ignorance is bliss/safe. FAs facing backwards can't see the ground screaming up at them, unlike all the passengers. Mythbusters "Confirmed" it, so maybe...

I also love how some people are starting to worry about your airline, because they've been in the news several times lately for "safety" things. However these are daily occurances at any other airline, but that's not really news-worthy, now is it? Slander sells.

I like the sandwich board. You could clearly write out the sandwich choices as well, and save that headache.

And Kiki, you're welcome. Glad I could, um, help with that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home