Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Adventures from the Centre of the Universe

You have a 24 hour layover in Toronto and a general idea of how to get around on the subway, what do you do? Why, tour the legislative parliamentary building of course!

And what an adventure it was!

This my friends, is a collectible celebrity doll of Sir John A MacDonald. Like every little girl I daydreamed about Sir John all the time. Sigh, he is so handsome.



According to my tour guide Michelle, this little beauty was a serious point of contention between Canadians and Americans for quite some time (I think it's safe to assume that she meant Canadian and Americans somehow involved in the preservation and restoration of unimportant pseudo-historical artifacts and not people in the general populace).
This mace (which is actually made of wood and just painted gold claaaassy) was stolen by the Americans (right before they burned down our parliament) in the 1800s. Those thieving rats kept our beloved (it was beloved to some I'm sure) mace for years until it was finally returned by Roosevelt. Good man, that Roosevelt.




This is a squirrel. I can only assume that he is also famous as I found him on a tree right beside the parliamentary building.



Stay tuned for more captivating photos from other exotic locations such as Ottawa's Currency Museum and the Inside Of My Hotel Room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home