Monday, September 24, 2007

Bumming Around

Bum Poking... Sure, I understand it, but I don't like it.

One thing I noticed within the first few days at my job was the number of times my bum was touched in a day. Flight attendanting (oh that's a word by the way) is by nature not a job for anyone overly concerned with personal space (such as myself until I lowered my standards). For the most part I'm okay with bum touching, however what I am not okay with is bum poking.

Now, I need to qualify what the difference is between bum touching and bum poking.

Bum touching is an inevitable part of the job. During boarding, service, turbulence, securing etc. your bum brushes up against people or people brush up against your bum. It happens. You move on.

Bum poking is something entirely different. Bum poking is a technique used by people sitting in aisle seats who wish to get your attention but feel that using their vocal cords is not effective enough. So, they poke you in the bum. Hard. Right in the cheek. Surprise, surprise, it has the desired effect and the flight attendant turns around.

The bum poke occurs in different ways and for different reasons. It might happen as you walk through the cabin utilizing the Fast Jabby Poke. It might happen as you are doing service utilizing the Soft but Repeated Poke. Alternatively, it might happen as you are helping another guest utilizing the Reach and Poke. Whichever poke it may be, all are highly uncomfortable for the pokee (ie: me).

I suppose I can understand why people engage in the bum poke, I mean the call button is aaaalll the way up on the console, whereas my bum is right at eye level. If I sit back and watch I can almost see the chain of events.

"Hmm my drink is empty...Hey! There is a bum, that bum brought me a drink the first time...Poke...

As logical and convenient as it may be I will continue to hold my position as Advocate for Bum Rights. I can justify having bruises on my thighs from elbows, but I will never be okay with bruises on my bum from fingers.

4 Comments:

At 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two firsts in a row. Did KT and Kiki stop reading?!?

I have a theory. I've heard that football players pat each other on the bum, because it has the least amount of padding, therefore the intended gesture is most sincerely felt. ("Hey man, nice catch!")

Likewise, due to excessive bruising on the elbows, thighs and shoulders (from "normal" people trying to get your attention) maybe the bum offers the quickest response. ("Hey lady, nice safety demo, even though I didn't really watch it. Now where's my chicken-seafood-roast beef sandwich?!")

BTW, I do have a defense for this problem. Please try it out on the day you quit!!
TH

 
At 8:49 PM , Blogger Bitty said...

Defence you say...? It is illegal or just hugely inappropriate?

 
At 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not illegal, just hugely funny!! Inappropriate, yes. Funny, more so!

TH

 
At 5:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ms Bit,
The sandwich board about seat belts (not sandwiches) would address the poky thing too. I've never personally attempted this attention getting device, except at home, but I can't see where broken fingers would make for a more pleasant flight.
Runcle

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home