Friday, May 16, 2008

The Night of the Bookcase

Although progress in the working world has been slow to say the least, life on the domestic front has been improving. I think Ty may have underestimated the number of books I intended to bring with me. Since I unpacked them a week and a half ago, they have managed to spread out and have virtually held the living room hostage. We were sequestered into inhabiting less than 400 square feet in what was already a small apartment. Clearly we needed to reclaim our living room. Here is a short list of the helpful suggestions Ty had for what we should do with the books.
-burn them
-throw them out
-put them in a trunk
-put them in a storage closet
-put them in a trunk then burn it and throw out the ashes
-sink them to the bottom of the ocean

My dear, dear Ty just doesn't understand the relationship a girl has with her books. They can't just be stored away in a trunk, I need to see my books. I never know when I will be overcome with a need to read the last chapter of Angela's Ashes. Having my books on display is perfect in such an emergency. So it was decided (mostly by me) that a good set of bookshelves were in order.

Obtaining something as common as bookshelves may seem like an insignificant task, but I assure you it wasn't. First, attempting for find one for sale in a small town is a task in itself. Secondly, attempting to build a bookcase in a teensy wee little apartment is a monumental problem. I've come to learn that basically doing anything in a small space becomes more difficult. Particularly folding sheets. It's difficult to fold them when you can't toss out the ends without hitting both the fridge and two walls. Anywho, this is my photojournalistic account of the night of the bookcase. Let me remind you that neither of us is particularly handy so the fact that we built anything at all is astounding.


The Problem


The Problem Solver


A more frustrating problem


Progress (He actually used on of those eyeball dilating lights that he has for work at one point)


Ty proud of his handy work


I hope you'll notice that I say "we" built a bookcase, but I am no where to be found in any of the 'work in progress' pictures. Odd..

4 Comments:

At 7:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaaa Ty & Britt - you did it! Now, when do you build your first house?
Auntie

 
At 10:29 AM , Blogger Bitty said...

I was thinking we might just live inside the bookcase

 
At 11:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I was going to buy a book home (bookcase) for your birthday, and now you have ruined my plan. At least I know your books have a cozy place to live. BTW, I saw the St Vincent de Paul society in Limerick. Thats right. But I did not see anyone with standing up, North of Ireland, Presbyterian hair. You can't have it all in one trip you know.

kiki

 
At 1:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest that perhaps MH needs an Ikea, which solves the availability problem, but not the speedy set-up problem. I find you generally need a masters degree in Traditional Swedish, with an Advanced Pictography minor!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home