Tuesday, March 13, 2007

War Talk

I just finished a book for my Political Dissidence class. I've noticed how the time I allot for reading has diminished with each passing week. I polished off this last one in an hour and a half. I believe it's a new record for me. Anyways, this book that I just finished was absolutely incredible. It's called War Talk by Arundhati Roy. It is four essays that she has written about the political tensions in India, war and living in the nuclear age, the hypocrisy of the American empire and so on. There was one quote in particular that I loved. It actually gave me the shivers when I read it. Basically it sums up my views about the future of our society, only much more articulately than I could ever hope to be.

"The time has come, the Walrus said. Perhaps things will get worse and then better. Perhaps there's a small god up in heaven readying herself for us. Another world is not only possible, she's on her way. Maybe many of us won't be here to greet her, but on a quiet day, if I listen very carefully, I can hear her breathing."

If you ever have the chance to read it I would highly recommend it.

Up next for my class, Noam Chomsky - Manufacturing Consent. I have a feeling this may be a bit more challenging to get through...

3 Comments:

At 4:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you liked that quote, you will love the show Firefly... seriously... have I ever steared you wrong???

Don't count Wednesday, I was a bit off my game on Wednesday!

 
At 9:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What she dosn't tell you is the complaining that her boyfriend has to listen to while she is readying these "Riveting" pieces of literature. :) She does work her ass off though in order to read them every week and still manage to fly around the world and keep up with me on the climbing wall. :) good job britt so proud of you!!

Ber

 
At 6:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home