Monday, March 05, 2007

For Hire

Growing up I had dozens of potential careers in mind. I wanted to be everything from a truck driver to veterinarian to a RCMP. As I grew up, I began to see why those probably were not the careers for me (being allergic to horses makes for a rough career as a veterinarian).

I went to university with the intention of becoming a teacher. However, sometime during my second year I realized that I honestly had no interest in actually being a teacher, so I changed my major. Now I am almost finished a degree that I love, but I'm left with the horrifying prospect of graduating without career in mind.

Right now, my best prospect seems to be journalism. I love politics and research and post-it notes, all of which I deem to be important aspects in career as a journalist. But what if I don't like journalism, or worse yet, what if I don't get into to school at all? I don't even have a backup plan.

While I love my degree, I feel like it left me with high and dry, without any practical skills or knowledge for getting a job. Is this the university's plan for keeping students within their scholarly claws? Perhaps...

I've thought a lot about what my perfect job would be. I'm sure that it would involve politics, human rights, Latin America and writing. I would love to work with an NGO, such as the UN, but I don't think that is realistic enough a goal.
Of course there is still a glimmer of hope that I will find the perfect job, but it sure hasn't happened yet.

4 Comments:

At 8:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming from the least hire-able faculty ever, I know the feeling. But sometimes, you can't plan things; things happen that you never expect. I was planning on a career of fake customer service smiles, but for that one resume I faxed without expectation of getting a call. Keep your eyes open for oppotunities, apply even if you don't think you're qualified, and keep up to date. At least with journalism you can do freelance for a while. All else fails, WestJet has five daily flights to Regina!
Kiki

 
At 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can always sell crack. I heard thats a good way to make money.

 
At 1:05 PM , Blogger Brown said...

Nah, you don't wanna sell crack. That's hard work, all that cooking and stuff.

Sell some ovaries. That way there'll be lil Bitties everywhere.

 
At 11:55 PM , Blogger Bitty said...

Selling my ovaries is a great idea. I have plently of those right? At least three or four I would think...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home