Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen, she's made a decision


I've done it, I've made a decision!

After hours spent on the internet, looking at maps and reading books I've decided on where I want to go for my graduation trip.

My graduation trip is my "Hey! You got a degree!" present to myself. I've been thinking about this trip for years. I've toyed with the ideas of going to Colombia, Mexico, Nicaragua and on and on.
Most recently I've been thinking about backpacking through Central America, starting in Mexico City and traveling down ending in Panama. While it would be handy because I have basic Spanish, it's just a little too dangerous and barren of tourism for a first-time traveler.

So after finally ruling out South and Central America, India and Nepal I decided to go to a part of the world that combines my interests of Buddhism, history and foreign languages.

Drum roll please....

South East Asia!

I'm thinking of going for around 3 months and traveling through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar. Which seems a little ambitious, but I will research it some more. I'm also planning on learning at least a few phrases in Khmer and Thai.

I'm excited because I finally know where to focus my hours of internet surfing. I can start planning, reading and rambling on about it for hours on end. Which will have to satisfy that pain I get in my stomach whenever I even think about traveling for the time being.

And I know what you're thinking (I'm looking at you Jenne) and yes, it can be a dangerous place. But the way I see it, so can Vancouver. And I think that it would be sad if everyone stayed home to avoid possible sticky situations abroad. You would miss so much if you didn't take a few risks. But I will definitely be smart about it, lots of research, monitor political situations etc.

So cast your worries aside and prepare yourselves for endless chatter about temples and museums!

2 Comments:

At 6:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, I was thinking that it's dangerous, but I was thinking even more about how much I would miss you if you left for 3 months. But we'll always have our blogs.

Check out the website: http://www.i-to-i.com
that's where my friends sister found an orphanage to volunteer at

 
At 12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I better start researching the innoculations i am going need for this OMG. I only hope i can keep up with you and participate in everything you have been dreaming for so long. I am so excited about south asia...but 3 months could be a little lengthy to spend inside a hotel room watching Paperview... :) Dont stop loving me!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home