Thursday, December 07, 2006

Cosmic Irony

Cosmic irony is a sharp incongruity between our expectation of an outcome and what actually occurs, as if the universe were mocking us.

While walking to Starbuck's at the University today, Nadia and I were talking about the Education program. She will be attending the University next year and suffice to say she is a little less than convinced of how great the school is. She comes from a very small college in which she sees the same people day in and day out. I felt that she needed a little coaxing. I was doing my best to convince her that the University is in fact the greatest school.

"And we have three Tim Hortons! Seriously, three!"

I thought that I was beginning to convince her, I mean really, who can say no to a steaming hot cup of Tim's in the morning?

All was going well until she happened to look at the ground and she saw it.

There it was...lying against the stark white tiles...a giant turd.

"Oh my God..." She whispered in horror

Right in the middle of the University hallway was a giant turd partially smushed, probably by the winter boot of some poor unsuspecting student.

How did it get there? Who did this? Why were we still looking at it?

The irony of the situation was inescapable. Right as I was beginning to make some headway in convincing her that the University is wonderful we come across human feces. This was not going to help my case.

I tried to justify it for at least half and hour afterwards, but I really wasn't even convincing myself. Sometimes there just isn't a good explanation for things like that.

Aside from being thoroughly sickened by the whole situation her main concern now was having to go to class at the University. How could she ever talk to someone in class without suspecting that they were the culprits that left the giant turd in the hallway?

I had no answer for her. All I know is that I sincerely hope that it is gone tomorrow, because I don't know if I can face a steaming turd before I get my steaming cup of Tim's.

3 Comments:

At 8:42 PM , Blogger Ben&LIz said...

try convincing people that youre school doesnt suck when all they know about it is "If you can walk and talk, you can go to Brock." it might be worse than crap in the hallways

liz

 
At 11:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not okay with that Brittany! I'm not.

Your school has two advantages - it's by defaul my only feasible option, and it has you.

My school has free parking, and nothing is more than a one minute walk away, and I don't need three tim hortons when I have one that I can get to and back from in under 10 minutes.

You know what else I love about my school? No human feces on the ground. Ever.

How does something like that happen? I am not okay with this.
People aren't going to like me when I sit down in my class and yell "WHERE WERE YOU ON DECEMBER 7th PRIOR TO 4:00! WHERE? VERIFY YOUR ALIBI"

I'll be the crazy girl who suspects everyone of leaving fecal matter in the hallway, and I don't know if that leaves a good first impression.

How does something like this occur?
It is not okay....

 
At 12:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Nadia on this one. That is soooo not okay. I work in the hopistal and we never find THAT on the ground. What I am mainly curious about is how you were able justify this occurance for 30 whole minutes! I am also in amazement that you, one with hypersensitive gag reflex, did not vomit right then and there!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home