Monday, November 20, 2006

Brittany and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad cup of brown mystery goo

“What is it?”

“I’m not sure, its warm and kind of frothy"

“It sort of looks like chocolate, but with coffee grounds in it”

"Smell it”

This is when I walked in. Brent and Natalie were standing in the back galley holding a plastic cup filled with the unidentified frothy liquid.

“Where’d you get that from?” I asked

“The guy in 21A handed it to me”

“Someone should smell it”

Brent grabbed the cup and held it up to his nose

“Oh no…”

He ran to the lavatory, dumped the contents into the toilet and shut the door. I caught a whiff of it as he ran by.

“Oh no” I repeated and proceeded to gag

I understand that people get sick unexpectedly and I'm glad that the man in 21A had the foresight to use a plastic cup and not the seatpocket, trust me, I appreciate that.

That being said, if you are handing someone a cup of vomit, it is common courtesy to inform them as to what the cup contains. A simple "Hey, thats my vomit in there" will do. In doing so you will enable us to be prepared and dispose of the cup properly (preferably while donning a biohazard suit and goggles). God forbid we hit turbulence while carrying the contents of your stomach in a plastic cup. The horror.

Also if you are throwing up foamy coffee grounds, you might want to seek the advice of a doctor in the near future.

5 Comments:

At 6:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the horror"

I like that line!

That's a great story, and even though you told me all about on the phone, it still made me laugh, alot. Things are always better on paper, or monitor...? Whatever.

 
At 7:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coffie Ground Vomitus is a sign of a blood in the stomach. your body cant digest blood so when it comes back up looks ike coffie gronds...probably has a Upper GI bleed or else maybe somthing higher up bleeding into his Stomach. Anyway if you see it again best to inform them to see a doc right away. especially if you vomit more then once.

 
At 7:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and one more thing. NEVER EVER EVER EVER SMELL IT!! what would be the point of smelling something a patient gave you? or a customer i guess in your case...what ever you call them. sorry just tips for next time :)

Ber

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger Bitty said...

If the cup was labeled "Contains Vomit: Probably caused by Upper GI bleed" I would have gagged first, then ran. However we only have 5 senses, and I sure wasn't going to volunteer to drink it or touch it, so smell was our only option for proper idenitification of the mystery goo.

 
At 11:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home